Wednesday 27 February 2008

ObservAnT = AmusemAnT

I have heard and read several times during the course of my life that 'It is very easy to point out others mistakes, but it is very hard to accept your own faults'. I have always prided myself for being a very observant person, which in itself is both a gift and a curse.

I find it fairly easy to locate anomalies and defects in many things in life, but I am not obsessed with finding faults with people or objects. I never actually make an effort to look for faults, unless I am required to do so. I am not the kind of person who points out the faults, I normally just notice them and depending on the degree of error, think of an appropriate course of action.

Normally I just notice something that shouldn’t be there, and use it as an object of amusement for myself, and being born with a very low threshold for being amused, I find it is often too simple to be amused by my observations. This is mainly true while I am watching television or a movie. I like to notice glitches and goofs and then point it to my friends. For example, one of my favourite ways to pass time in dull, boring movies, which I am sometimes forced to watch against my will, is to observe the extras that are in the background or sidelines, rather than the main actor, as their antics are often hilarious. Especially during the highly abundant song and dance sequences, that are so popular in Hindi movies. The expressions of the various extras, makes these parts almost bearable when I am forced to endure them.

When it comes to commercials, it is very amusing to look at the expressions of the actors when they aren’t particularly the centre of attention. You can often tell that the person is actually anxious for his cue, or sometimes he is ecstatic that he is on television. Sometimes in advertisements with major celebrities, you can actually notice the look of admiration and awe in the eyes of the not so famous personality. I may be too harsh and cruel to the producers and actors if I do this, but then I feel that they are probably blissfully ignorant. Or they couldn’t care less for that matter, after all I am not really a known critic, so even if they ever come to find out my opinion they would hardly be bothered.

I do not strive to humiliate others or look for faults in them, I am not a true hardcore Sadist, but having said that I cant deny having exacted some sadistic pleasure in my observations till date. Everyone slips up and makes mistakes from time to time, and I feel that at times it is my responsibility to embarrass the other person. But having said that, I ensure that I am able to take criticism easily, which is not very difficult, being really thick skinned and possessing the priceless (maybe) ability to endure and welcome embarrassment with a smile. I also make sure that if I am pointing out a persons mistakes, I know the person really well and he won’t be enraged or humiliated in public.

Sometimes, it is a lot more fun if you just notice something unusual in a person and you don’t tell the other person. These situations are often difficult as I cant prevent an amused expression from appearing on my face and the other person immediately becomes conscious about having done something embarrassing, without actually realising what it is. Fortunately, most of the times when I am in this situation, the other person takes it in good humor and ends up amused himself. I am yet to actually have hurt a person by my antics, though I feel that sometimes I may have pushed the limits.

Of course, this ability does have some significant drawbacks. Being a chauvinist (My sister has made sure I realise and accept that I am one.) I have never really been able to befriend girls easily. Whenever I am interacting with a girl, my sixth sense is always on overdrive and every single time, there is at least one act that a girl performs unknowingly which gets me really amused or sometimes irritated. After this its a test of patience for me in order to control myself from reacting to that particular act. My good friends, who have known me for a while, find out that I have observed something, and after the conversation hound me to tell them what it was. If its an amusing act, I laugh it off after a while, but if I get irritated, then there is a very low probability that I will willingly interact with that girl in the future.

Another major drawback of being acutely aware of my surroundings is that I often notice things which I would be happier not knowing. It may be a gesture that a person performs when he thinks no one is looking or something that could happen involuntarily. I am unable to remain blissfully ignorant in these situations.

Of course one really good thing that has come from this ability is the constant need to be a perfectionist, having very high standards for my own work. So, I know if I ever make something, I need it to be the kind which is hard to find fault. If I write, or make presentations, I need to ensure that spellings, grammar, layout etc is nothing short of perfect. Font styles, sizes and formatting is consistent throughout and there is a smooth, uninterrupted flow. I don’t really mind spending extra time ensuring that what I do, comes out according to my satisfaction.

After having weighed all sides of this ability, I have come to a conclusion that until I actually enrage someone close to me, or I am given a death threat, I will persist in my observations and ensure I remain amused and happy. Even if I have to stop exacting amusement from people, it wont discourage me from being a perfectionist.

ob·ser·va·tion[ob-zur-vey-shuhn]

–noun
1. an act or instance of noticing or perceiving.
2. an act or instance of regarding attentively or watching.
3. the faculty or habit of observing or noticing.
4. notice: to escape a person's observation.
5. an act or instance of viewing or noting a fact or occurrence for some scientific or other special purpose.
6. the information or record secured by such an act.
7. something that is learned in the course of observing things.
8. a remark, comment, or statement based on what one has noticed or observed.
9. the condition of being observed.
10. Navigation.
a. the measurement of the altitude or azimuth of a heavenly body for navigational purposes.
b. the information obtained by such a measurement.
11. Obsolete . observance, as of the law.

4 comments:

veela said...

This is not a comment specific to this particular entry...its with reference to your blog in its entirety...there are two things which strike me...your language which is almost impeccable...and your self-obsession which is almost as acute as your perfectionism...correct me if I am being overtly critical but didnt you set out to observe other people (according to your first entry...:)) However your writing was a surprise...you really express yourself well especially when it comes to cars...and I can actually believe that someone feels so deeply about cars (which is generally a ridiculous idea to me...no offence) when i read your entry...liked your reference to me...lol...i guess everyone is a little self-obsessed...send me updates when you next write...would love to read...even in between my exams

Wordpsmith said...

hehe.. that's a good comment.. agree with it almost entirely.. i like your style of writing.. as already said, the language is impeccable.. its a bit wordy though at times.. and as i ve told u also i like shorter pieces of writing.. but yes the article about you and the car was very nice. keep it up brother!

Anonymous said...

hey... nice post though being a female classmate of urs it just makes me a bit wary n on my gueard ;P (hope dis comment is not 2 informally ritten 4 ur blog)

Anonymous said...

hey... nice post though being a female classmate of urs it just makes me a bit wary n on my gueard ;P (hope dis comment is not 2 informally ritten 4 ur blog)